Monday, May 3, 2010

My Final Recap

When I first walked into Border Beat, I wasn't sure what to expect. All I've known all my life is sports. I write about sports on a daily basis, and I thought that I would have the hardest time putting a "border-ish" angle to a sports story. What I came to realize, though, is that the world of international athletics is endless.

Turn on ESPN or any other sports network. Watch a professional game. Watch a college game for that matter. The world of sports is as diverse as ever. There is not one sport out there that does not have an international athlete.

Hockey, baseball and basketball are filled with them. Football has a few. Golfers, race car drivers, bowlers, volleyball players, tennis players, track runners, etc. The possibilities are endless and the world is catching up.

Look at baseball, the so-called American pastime. Japan has beat the United States in both World Baseball Classics! Now there is talk of a true World Series between the winner of the Major League Baseball championship in the States and the winner of the Nippon Professional Baseball League in Japan to determine who is truly the world's best.

You already have the World Cup, which will take place in South Africa this summer. It is the single most watched sports tournament in the world, exceeding even the Olympic Games.

The Indianapolis 500, which takes place at the end of May, features a host of international drivers at the top of their game.

And of course, you have the summer and winter Olympics, showcasing the skills of nearly every country on earth.

It just goes to show you how diverse the world of sports indeed is. All of these athletes have a story to tell. I was privileged enough to tell them to you, and my goal for the future is to keep bringing the stories to the limelight.

Through it all, I have learned that Border Beat is a great experience for anyone who wants to experience an entirely different culture with journalism. It's a great way to get your name out there. But more importantly, it's a great way to bring attention to our friends from afar.

So long,

Mateo Lorenzo Alvarez

No comments:

Post a Comment